Kahankar : Ahankar
This is an attempt at bringing together a selection of the stories and paintings of the Warlis, and some of the writings about them. To the Warlis, a community of Adivasis (indigenous peoples), who live close to Bombay, these stories represent their history, their world-view. All the outsiders, the Portuguese, the Marathas, the British, the native settlers… they all tried obliterating this history and wisdom. The work of the outsiders who wrote about the Warli represents this process of creating new mythologies. By bringing together these disparate discourses, this video aspires to critique these mythologies… To read between the lines, as the stories themselves do.
- Special Mention of the Jury, Mumbai International Film Festival, 1996
- Astra Festival of Anthropological Documentary Film, Sibiu, Romania, 1996
- 14th Worldwide Video Festival, The Hague, 1996
- Nordic Anthropological Film Association Festival and Conference, Bergen, 1996
- South Asian Film Festival, Kathmandu, 1997
- Prakriti, Hyderabad, 1997